Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Dialog #5: More Scripts for Classroom Management


  • You are giving a lecture, and every once in a while a student would repeat what you just said in a mocking tone.
This one's easy - stop the FIRST TIME, and respond with shock and awe tactics.  If you know who it is, ask them calmly to leave the room.  If they respond by being upset ("WHAAT?!  I didn't DO anything!"), respond calmly: "Wait for me outside." 
Once the kid's out, give him a few minutes to marinate.  Meanwhile, go on teaching as if nothing happened - it underscores that you are NOT to be messed with, and that such messing doesn't bother you in the slightest: it's just business.  The kid, meanwhile, gets to steam a bit - oh crap, what's going to happen?  The tension's WAY worse than the actual conversation, and tends to soften them up so that when you DO talk, it takes less time.

When out (give the kids something concrete to do; make it a quiz or something if they're squirrely), ask the kid: "So, why are we out here?"  "I dunno - you called me out."  "Hm.  If you need a bit to think about it, I can give you some more time."  The key is to make them tell you what they know they did.  

"Well, I guess because I said stuff while you were talking."  "Mmm-hmm.  What did you say?"  "I just said what you did."  "Yeah.  Was that your most polite moment this year?"  Depending on the kid, you can deliver that one with a bit of a smile - a little warmth when they're doing the hard work of admitting their faults can go a long way.  

"No."  "Okay.  Look, I've done my best to be respectful and straightforward with you this year - true?  Have I ever been rude to you?"  They dig it when you clearly establish your respect for them as a baseline for expecting the same from them (remember how much "fair" mattered in high school?).  

"No."  "All right.  So all I'm asking for is the same respect I'm giving you - fair?"  "Yeah."  "So?  Can I get something a little more specific?  Like try this: 'Sorry I was rude Mr. Low - I won't do it again.'"  "Sorry Mr. Low, I won't do it again."  "Thanks, Mr. C, I'll take you at your word - let's get back in there."  Notice, you're finishing with warmth and a reinforcement of the idea of mutual respect.

If you don't know who did it, hold the whole class accountable.  Drop a bomb: "WHY ARE YOU HERE." (Do it loud, so they all have a stunned moment of silence.  If someone jokes, let a little more ferocity into your response.) 
 "THINK about it.  WHY.  If you're only here because your parents MAKE you, then aren't you SLAVES?  Well, here's the thing: I'm here for ONE REASON - to get you ready to have a CHANCE at the kind of future you WANT.  TO get into decent jobs, be paid decent money, have a shot at earning a living you might like.  And I'll be honest with you - that's not easy.  It's especially not easy FOR YOU - this country is not a fair place, and the cards are stacked against you.  You don't have a lot of people working to help you get a chance, but I'm here, and I'm doing my best to give you the kind of education that can change your life."  Put in sincerity and warmth to back up the ferocity, here.  "I am doing my best FOR YOU.  I'm not asking you for perfection in return - all I'm asking is that you TRY.  And, at the VERY least, that you respect me enough not to treat me rudely.  I promise you I won't insult you or run you down - I think you're capable of amazing things, and I will work my hardest to help you achieve them.  The least I expect in return is basic respect.  FAIR?"  
Wait for it.  If you've been warm enough and offended enough, the kids' basic sense of fairness WILL kick in, and they'll give you something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment